The COSMOS Project sets the following objectives (numbered according to subsequent work packages):
- Designing and implementing “good practices” to become more efficient in supplying (intermodal) rail services, e.g. in terms of industrialization of railway production, developing procedures for a better synchronization of processes between railways, e.g. interoperability, cross border operations, “string-of-pearls” / hub / gateway operation concept, train monitoring and customer information systems, wagon management, quality management systems. Compiling a success stories and “good practice” catalogue.
- Training on identified “good practices” for the improvement of skills of managerial and operative staff fostering their implementation of good practices.
- Periodical exchange of information, or in case of existing cooperation, synchronization of products, services and service parameters between railways on the one side, and between railways, terminal operators and, if applicable, intermodal operators, on the other side. Developing a mechanism and procedure for developing coordinated international intermodal services.
- Designing and implementing information tools for better distributing and disseminating the development and current state of railway / intermodal services and/or terminal facilities (Knowledge platform) in SEE countries for better accessibility and transparency of railway / intermodal services among each other and towards (potential) customers and shippers.
- Promoting intermodal transport as such, and in particular supporting schemes for modal shift to (intermodal) rail services (administrative, fiscal, technical, financial measures) towards targeted stakeholders (market parties, operational partners and political/public stakeholders).
The following graph is key to understanding the set up of the Actions’ five technical workpackages (WP 1 to WP5):
Relation of the project activities